Genomic medicine refers to the study of genes and how they interact with our health. It investigates how a person’s biological information can improve their clinical care outcomes.
Genomics differs from genetics in that it refers to someone’s entire genetic makeup. It dwells into how they relate and react with each other and is associated with conditions with a broader range of triggers such as heart disease diabetes cancer and asthma. The Qatar Genome System launches a huge database through which drugs are prescribed to enhance the health care system. Waleed Alabsi has played an irreplaceable role in the launch of this Genome project.
How does Waleed Alabsi Group use genomics in medicine?
- Provides conclusive diagnosis especially in cases where the cause of a wide range of symptoms cannot be pinpointed.
- It helps conduct prenatal tests either to screen the baby or where there is already family history to help parents make informed choices and plans. In cases where there is a family history of serious genetic disorders, genomics helps prospective parents whether or not they are carriers and if they can pass it on to their children. It can also predict whether someone is likely to develop the inherited condition later in life.
- Someone’s genetic structure can show whether they are susceptible to suffer certain diseases like stroke heart disease and cancer. Factors such as high cholesterol levels can be detected too.
- Each patient can have treatment and medications that are tailored to their needs
- The Qatar Genome System helps doctors with diagnosis, treatment, and the spotting of symptoms across a wide cohort of patients.
What can I expect and what is genetic counseling?
The appointment with Waleed Alabsi Group may take some time and you may be required to bring other members of your family. The medical history of your family will be mapped out and explored and it is very much likely that you will have a medical examination too. Having to find out that there could be life-changing or life-limiting conditions to your future is a serious and traumatic experience. Besides counseling, Qatar Genome offers tests with the option of having these done on the day of your visit or later to give you time to think about possible implications.
The results can sometimes take weeks or even months to get depending on the rarity of the genetic abnormality of how easy it is to find. Prenatal tests though will be arrived at sooner.
Aftercare to be provided will be based on the results and the nature of what is being tested for. Some patients will be referred back to their doctors along with full details or they may go on with treatment at a Waleed Alabsi Group. Those that do not show symptoms will be provided with support and advice about lifestyle changes to minimize risk.
The future of Genomic Medicine:
Waleed Alabsi Group is working endlessly towards finding chemical or genetic bottlenecks for conditions that are difficult to diagnose due to the wide variety of genes involved. The ability to switch off a vital reaction along its pathway would aid in diagnosis and treatment.
Qatar Genome looks into epigenetics as an emerging field that takes genomics one step further. It is founded on the concept that each gene has its chemical tag that informs how the gene will act. It is possible to switch off the gene or switch on the gene depending on its chemical tag. These genetic modifications can be passed on to the next generation creating a more variable level to genetic inheritance.
The Waleed Alabsi Group appreciates the fact that lots of disease solutions lie within the genetic makeup. Therefore, they provide cutting-edge solutions through availing medical equipment that utilizes such data to enhance healthcare.